by Krista McKee
With summer here, we are searching for things to do, places to see and adventures to experience. Hibou Conservation Area is one of these interesting and fun filled areas to explore that is just a few minutes away from Owen Sound.
Check out the list below.
- Did you know that on Sunday August 7th the parking fee will be waived at Hibou for the “Free Family Fun Day”. This activity-filled day will allow us to stop, look, listen and learn what Hibou has to offer.
- Upon your arrival, you will be given an Explore Passport that you bring to each activity in the park.
- There are so many things to visit starting with trees, see the instruments they use to measure a tree’s width and height.
- How many marsh monsters live in our water – water spiders, mosquito larva, dragonflies and more – see how big they are under a microscope? These monsters are how we determine the health of our lakes, rivers and streams.
- Fossils that tell us what was here before us. See the interesting creatures that were caught in sand and slowly turned into rock.
- The Sydenham Sportsman’s Association will show you what lives in our bay, from egg to fish and all the things they do to help with the fish population in our area.
- If you dare, take a peek at the live display of snakes, turtles and reptiles. On their website they say:
” we do love to allow the public to participate in a hands-on manner with our beautiful animals. Often the interpreter will have a snake available to allow those who are interested the experience of getting up close and personal.”
- The Nature Discovery display will have a collection of interesting things that have been collected over the years.
- Drinking Water Source Protection will demonstrate what happens upstream and how it affects everything downstream.
- Once you have visited all the activities, take time to stop and let the kids play on the new playground equipment that The Optimist Club of Sydenham and District along with their Youth Club fundraised to purchase and install at Hibou.
- Have lunch at Hibou and support The Optimist’s BBQ lunch fundraiser for their 2022 projects.
- Big Bay Ice Cream will be there too.
- Don’t forget to take a hike with the trail guides of Hibou.