Thank you for volunteering with us. The Board Members of the Friends of Hibou wish you a joyful holiday season and hope that 2016 brings you good health, happiness and peace.
The year is moving quickly. It seems time runs away as we get closer to the new year. The Friends of Hibou Board met in late October to conclude the years activity and make some plans for 2016.
We are very pleased with what we have been able to accomplish with the funding dollars we have received through the Community Foundation Grey Bruce and the TD Canada Trust Environmental Fund. However we would not have been able to put it to use without the assistance of volunteers like you.
Over the past year with volunteer help, we have done trail accomplished the following:
• Grand opening of the new Boardwalk trail through some of the wet lands. This had been built and laid down by volunteers in 2014.
• Clean up of the debris laid down on the beach at Paynter’s Bay over several years
• Trail clipping
• Removal of garbage along the rough shoreline by Mid-Western Ontario Geocachers and other volunteers
• Building and placement of a short boardwalk over the little stream just south of the parking lots on the rough shoreline.
• Dismantling of fire pits in the area close to the rough shoreline south of Paynter’s Bay
• Placement of five new benches.
We plan to continue with similar projects in the next year. Here is what we are planning so far.
• We have just received another grant from TD Canada Trust Environmental Fund to replace old boardwalk in the wetlands.
• The beach cleanup of debris was successful so we look forward to doing that again. We have set the date of May 17th.
• Trail clipping works in the spring, possible May 5th.
• The Mid-Western Ontario Geocachers will continue to be involved with the garbage cleanup along the shoreline.
• The new benches will have to be more strongly attached with cement footings to prevent their being toppled or damaged. We have plaques to be placed on the back of each bench.
You have likely noticed that we have a new Board member. Jake Doherty left the Board last spring. Thank you Jake for you commitment to Hibou and we appreciate your continuing support. Just recently Carol Harris has agreed to come on board and take over responsibility for the web site and the Face book Page. If you have any pictures you would like to post, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will see that Carol gets them.
Thank you for your commitment to the Hibou Conservation Area and Friends of Hibou. We will continue to be in touch with you when we have definite project plans.